What is diaper rash?
You’ll know right away if your baby has a rash, and you may also learn to identify diaper rash. Diaper rash may be red and raw, or flaky. There might be bumps, and your baby might be fussy. The three main causes of diaper rash are friction, moisture, irritation from mess (pee and poo), and time. Huggies® Diapers offer fit, comfort, breathability, and keep irritants away from skin to address all main causes of diaper rash.
Preventing diaper rash with proper diapers
How to change a diaper?You can follow these steps for diapering.
To change a diaper:
- Check the wetness indicator. If you use Huggies®, there’s a line down the front of your baby’s diaper called the wetness indicator. If it’s blue, that means the diaper is wet. Newborns have up to 12 wet diapers a day, so check frequently.
- Remove a soiled diaper carefully. Undo the tabs on the diaper and then gently hold your baby’s ankles in one hand. While holding onto your baby with one hand, consolidate the diaper with the other.
- Clean. Wipe baby clean with a baby wipe, wiping from front to back for girls to ensure you’re not spreading bacteria around.
- Check the skin for rash. If there is a diaper rash, pat the skin dry completely and apply a diaper cream.
- Put on a clean diaper. Slide a clean, right-sized diaper under your baby with the fasteners in the back, and make sure all sides are even before securing the tabs.
Right size diapersHaving the right size diaper will go a long way in striking the balance between containing your child’s mess and giving their skin room to breathe. Diapers come in nine sizes, and baby’s height and weight will give you the best estimate of what sized diaper will fit them.
- Fit snuggly below the belly button and fit around the legs without being too tight. You’ll know they’re too tight if you see a ring where the diaper has clung to the skin. Run your finger along the leg holes to flare out the diaper for the most comfortable fit and protect from leaks and blowouts.
- Cover your baby’s bottom completely and have about a two-finger gap between the skin and the diaper. You can check this by sliding two fingers down between the diaper and your baby. If you can’t fit two fingers inside the diaper, it’s too tight; if you can fit three fingers, it’s too loose.
- Fit around the waist. The tabs that come around to fasten in the front of the diaper are a good indicator of tightness. If the tabs are meeting in the middle, the diaper might be too big. Some diapers come with size indicators that go under the tabs. If you can see them under the tabs, your diaper might be too small.
The Huggies® Diapers DifferenceEvery Huggies® diaper is made using the latest in skin science with your baby’s comfort in mind.
A happy baby is a comfortable baby. Huggies® are soft on your baby’s skin and have a variety of features that help maximize fit and comfort, such as curved leg holes, pocketed back waistbands, and a breathabe outer cover to name a few.
Huggies® diapers promote breathability to keep your baby cool and comfortable, and balance skin moisture by drawing irritants like poop and pee away from the skin. Huggies® products are made of soft and absorbent materials that are known to be safe for your baby’s skin. They’re free of known irritants like fragrances, elemental chlorine, and parabens. Scientifically tested features like a wetness indicator and absorbent core are included in all Huggies® diapers.
Preventing diaper rash with proper wipes
When cleaning your baby, pat the skin instead of rubbing it as rubbing could lead to irritation. Wipe genitals from front to back, especially if you have a baby girl, to prevent the spread of bacteria.
The Huggies® Wipes Difference
Huggies® wipes are designed with your baby’s safety and skin in mind. Perfect for your baby’s most delicate areas, Huggies® wipes are gentle enough to use on your baby’s face and hands. Made with a thick plant-based* sheet, Huggies® wipes are thick enough to sweep up any mess, and pliable enough to get a maximum clean. Huggies wipes are also pH balanced to match the slight acidity found on an infant’s skin.
*Huggies® baby wipes are 70%+ plant-based by weight
When to call the doctor
Our diaper tool can help you find the best fit for your family’s diaper needs.